Just a quick little recipe I whipped up this afternoon in between jobs. This recipe is great because you can sub in any liquid sweetener you like and you don’t need to blitz it in a food processor which is great when you have a sleeping baby.
- 1 cup peanut butter – Or use a different nut or seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey or another liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup protein powder – I recommend vanilla or chocolate flavour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut + EXTRA for rolling
Place the peanut butter and honey in a large bowl and use a spoon to mix them together a little.
Add the oats, 1/4 cup of desiccated coconut and 1/4 cup of the protein powder to the bowl (i.e. only add half of the protein powder to begin with).
Using a wooden spoon start combining all of the ingredients together. They should form a slightly sticky dough, with a consistency where it can be rolled into balls. Once it comes together, you can test it by rolling a bit into a ball with your hands. If it’s too wet, add extra protein powder until it reaches the right consistency. If it’s too dry add a little water
Roll heaped tablespoons of the dough into balls, and then roll in the extra desiccated coconut to coat or anything you fancy really (chopped nuts or chia seeds would also be good)
Place the balls in the fridge to firm up a little. Leave them stored in the fridge in an airtight container, or alternatively freeze them for a longer life (where they should keep for about 3 months).
Things to Keep in mind
- Use any sugar sub you would like, maple syrup, liquid stevia or rice malt syrup all work well.
- any oats works in this recipe.
- Pick a good protein powder as this really affects the way these balls turn out.
Good luck guys i hope you enjoy the recipe and i would love to see any pictures of any that don’t end up being eaten. I am certainly looking forward to mine with a coffee in the afternoon.